Digital Mapping Project
|Digital Mapping Project in Collaboration with NIC |
|This project was initiated during the 9th Five year Plan at a cost of Rs. 4.81 crores. The project was to be implemented by National Information Centre. The objective was to map all the manmade structures above the ground and with the help of utility organizations, superimpose utility network and related data e.g water, sewage, electricity and Gas. It was also envisaged that, once the whole exercise is completed, the data would be transferred to Delhi Administration in Urban Development Department where it was proposed to set up a control room for management of the utility network. It was also proposed that this mechanism would be used for coordinating the interdepartmental issues. |
|Targets for the 10th Five Year Plan |
|During the beginning of X Five Year Plan, new aerial photography (2002) has become available. It was proposed to revise the base map during the 5 years of Xth Five Year Plan and carry out toponomic survey for a fresh verification. |
|During this period it is also planned to install analysis software for water, electricity and sewage network. This was expected to help in better planning and maintenance of utility networks and contribute eventually to better citizen services.|
|It is also proposed to initiate mapping of Gas and Telephone lines in collaboration with private entities like Indraprastha Gas Ltd and MTNL respectively. |
|Status of the Digital Mapping Project|
|NIC has completed mapping of whole of area of Delhi in 2002 using aerial photography of Dec.1992. |
|Field survey of water lines for whole Delhi City, its field verification for correctness and entry in the computer system is completed on May 2003. A Computer Cell has been created at Delhi Jal Board Hqrs at‘Varunalaya’ |
|Mapping of electric lines|
|Delhi Vidyut Board nominated two separate teams to map EHT (33kv and above) and HT (11kv) lines. Their progress is satisfactory. The EHT team completed their electricity network on December 2002. The HT team has completed their work in the Trans-Yamuna Areas. 11kv lines have also been completed for four DVB districts across the river. |
|The work has been started on September 2003 and completed to a large extent |
|For all mapped areas road network has been completed only attribute data is to be attached.|
|Mapping and verification of telephone lines of MTNL and related data entry in to the system is on progress. Reliance India Ltd. Also started entering their network and related data into the system. TATA Cable network also started mapping of their network and their date entry into the system. |
|Since base maps were compiled from the aerial photography of the year 1992, updation of base maps is the next logical exercise for keeping base maps up to date. The Govt. of NCT of Delhi requested NRSA, Hyderabad to conduct aerial photography of Delhi City and authorized NIC to take up the task of updation of existing base maps from the fresh aerial photography completed in March 2002. |
|NIC has taken up the task of map updation. Aerial photographs were collected from National Remote Sensing Agency (NRSA), Hyderabad. Planning work on aerial photographs i.e. marking of ground and model control and Independent Model Triangulation (IMT) observation and adjustment work on new photography is in progress. |
|As seen from the above and in comparison with the time targets, the project is running on schedule. Completion of Utility maps shall depend on the commitments of utility agencies. As per provision made under this scheme Govt. of Delhi has set up a coordination cell/data base centre in the Delhi Sectt. for updating the Utility Mapping. Funds have been released to NIC for this purpose. |
|Proposal for the 11th Plan |
- A proposal for updation of digital base map of Delhi indicating a time schedule of 18 months and a cost of Rs. 3.09 crores has been received and this sum needs to be provided for the 11th five year plan. The details of the estimate are placed at Annexure I.
- One post of Database Administrator, one post of programmer and four posts of Assistant Programmer/Data Entry Operators need to be created in UD Deptt. for maintenance and updation of center. These can be created as plan posts during the 11th five year plan period with an estimate cost liability of Rs. 75 lacs.
- Hardware and Software updation and maintenance cost need to be provided for, at an estimate expenditure of Rs. 75 lacs over the plan period.
- Training expenditure for manpower in the UD Deptt. as well as utility agencies will require be provided for an estimated cost of Rs. 20 lacs over the plan period.
- A detailed project needs to be conceived regarding setting up of a survey and mapping authority in the Govt. of NCT of Delhi during 11th five year plan period at an estimate cost of Rs. 10 Crores. Total estimate plan provision – 14.79 crores