The Government of NCT of Delhi, is providing, free of cost, facility to old age persons for staying at Old Age Homes. The Government has established two Old Age Homes – one, at Tilak Vihar shifted in Bindapur, Pocket –IV, Dwarka, Delhi. being run by the Department directly, and another at Lampur being run in collaboration with a NGO. Status of these Homes, is as follows:-
1. Old Age Home at Bindapur : Old Age Home which was situated at Tilak Vihar, was now shifted to Bindapur is being run departmentally by the Department of Social Welfare. Total capacity of the Home is 50 persons. There are 11 employees working in the Home under the control of Superintendent. Government is providing free of cost boarding, lodging and medical facilities. There is one First-Aid Centre in the Home. One part-time Doctor and one Nurse are working in the Home. In case of need for medical check-up and medical facilities, the old age persons are referred to the nearby Government Hospital. Admission of the Old Age Home is open to destitute old and infirm persons who are in the age group of 60 yrs and above and not suffering from any communicable disease. The admission committee comprising of Dy. Director (SS), Concerned District Social Welfare Officer, Sr. Account Officer and Supdt. of the concerned Home decide upon the cases for admission.
Old Age Home, Bindapur, Pocket-IV, New Delhi-110059. Contact Person: Mr. Rajiv Ranjan Lakra, phone no.28332323.
2. Old Age Home at Lampur : Old Age Home at Lampur has been established in a Government building. It has a capacity of 100 inmates. However, at present, there are 16 inmates only. There are 09 employees working in the Home, which includes part-time Doctor, Nurse and Programme Manager. The Home is being rub by the Government in collaboration with NGO namely, Delhi Brotherhood Society. The Government has signed an Agreement with the NGO in September, 2009. As per the Agreement, 50% of the seats will be from the Government nominees and 50% paid seats. The Government is providing grants to NGO towards recurring and non-recurring expenditure in respect of persons recommended by the Government (free seats). For admission in the Home, an Admission Committee has been constituted. The Committee is headed by Deputy Director (Social Security) of the Social Welfare Department, which includes also the Project Manager of the NGO Society and the District Social Welfare Officer (North West-II).
Old Age Home Lampur, Sewa Sadan Complex, Lampur, Delhi- 110040. Contact Person : R.K. Mishra (Project Manager) 9350295303
Admission in the home is open to destitute old and infirm persons:-
- Who are in the age group of 60 years and above.
- Who have none to support or maintain them
- Who are not suffering from any infectious/ communicable disease
- Who are residents of Union Territory of Delhi
SERVICES PROVIDED AT THE OLD AGE HOMES
(a) Free boarding/ lodging/food at the state run old age homes for free seats.
(b) Medical Care & Counseling.
(c) Recreational facilities and Rehabilitation programme.
As per section 19(1) of the ‘Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 under the chapter III of Parents and Senior Citizens Act,2007’ under the Chapter III of the Act, the State Govt. has to establish and maintain at least one old age home in each District. Accordingly efforts are being made to acquire land for construction of Old Age Homes.
Department of Social Welfare has taken possession of land at Chitranjan Park, Rohini, Kanti Nagar, Paschim Vihar, Krishna Nagar, Wazirpur and Chatterpur. Possession of land is in process at Janakpuri, Sarita Vihar, Shakurbasti and Vasant Kunj.
Govt. has laid the foundation stone for construction of Old Age Home at Chatterpur and laying of foundation stone for Old Age Home at Kanti Nagar is in the offing.