The Department is headed by Commissioner Food Safety. He is the controlling authority of Department of Prevention of Food Adulteration. The department is responsible for implementation of provisions laid down under the FSS Act 2006 and Rules 2011 to prohibit the manufacturing, distribution or sale of any article of food which is substandard, adulterated or misbranded. This department carries out raids/survey of the Food Industries/Business premises to ensure that the norms are compiled with/ adhered to by the FBO's and Industries etc.The department also organizes awareness programmes on food safety. The food samples/articles lifted by the Food Safety Officer. If sample found misbranded, adulterated or substandard the adjudication proceeding/enquire is started against the offenders (Rule 3.1).The offenders can be imposed penalty and/or any suitable punishment in accordance with the provisions of the Act. The Organization set up of this Department is as under:-
1. Commissioner Food Safety:-The Department is headed by Commissioner Food Safety. Commissioner of Food Safety discharges various functions which include sanction for prosecution ,hearing of appeals of suspension and cancellation of licenses against the order of Licensing officer, prohibition of the sale of the risky food items, survey of the food units, policy matters, interaction with state Govt. and Govt. of India, supervision of enforcement ,licensing ,food lab and prosecution work.
2. Addl.Director (Food Safety):-The Addl.Director assist the Commissioner Food Safety in discharging the functions like granting of consent for prosecution, examination of cases for appeal, supervision of PFA LAB, Caretaking Branch, EDP Cell, conveying directions to the enforcement authorities, Monitoring, Public complaint and Control Room and report from sub-division for compliance ,interaction with other Deptt. and Govt. of India, training of officers and computer education etc other administrative matters and miscellaneous work.
3. Designated Officers: - Designated Officer supervises the work of enforcement of Food Safety Officer, analyses the report received from the Food Analyst and also scrutinizes the same. The cases of violations are investigated by the Food Safety Officer. After scrutinizing the case, the Designated Officer at headquarter put up the case before Commissioner of Food Safety for obtaining the written consent for institution of prosecution. The case is launched by the Food Safety Officer for prosecution in the court.
4. Food Safety Officers:-Food Safety Officers assist the Designated Officer by lifting the samples of food articles for analysis and inspection of Food establishments for granting them license under the FSS Act 2006.
5. Food Analyst (Food Laboratory):-Food analyst analyzes the samples of food articles. There is a Food Lab working at headquarters (PFA) for carrying out analysis of food samples.
6. Administrative Officer (Administration Branch):-Administration branch is headed by Administrative officer, looking after the works related to Administration nature.
7. Statistical Officer (Planning Branch):-The planning branch is headed by Statistical officer who looks after the work related to plan scheme, publicity &publication.
8. Programmer (EDP Cell):-The EDP Cell with one Programmer and Two Data Entry Operators are maintaining the data. The records of samples taken by the Food Safety Officer, submission of analysis report by the Food Analyst ,obtaining consent for prosecution and filing of complaints in the court in accordance with the provision of FSS Act is computerized. The details of sample taken and their result are on the public domain through departmental website.
9. Assistant Accounts Officer (Accounts Branch):-Accounts section of the department is headed by Assistant Accounts Officer.
10. Chief Prosecutor and Senior Public Prosecutor: - Chief Prosecutor and Senior Public Prosecutor are dealing with the court cases.