He has made the exceptional & unusual decision of shifting to IHBAS (Institute of Human Behavior and Allied Sciences) in 1998, and has served there for 11 years as Head, Department of Psychiatry also as Medical Superintendent of the IHBAS for most of those years. He served on the faculty of two of the best academic institutions, joining IHBAS in 1998 and taking up the responsibility of developing it as a National Institute and a Centre of Excellence.
· National Institute of Mental Health & Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore for 6 years, from 1982 to 1988.
· AIIMS, Delhi for 10 years from 1988 to 1998.
· In his leadership within 5 years of his joining, IHBAS became one of the three National Resource Centres for the National Mental Health Programme(NMHP), along with the other two 50 year old institutions viz. NIMHANS Bangalore & CIP, Ranchi.
· He has led to significant landmarks for the Institute viz. Accreditation of the IHBAS Hospital by the National Accreditation Bureau of Hospitals (NABH). Significantly, the Government of India has recently decided to consider taking over & up-scaling IHBAS as a national Institute.
· He was awarded the prestigious Humphrey Fulbright Fellowship at the Johns Hopkins University, School of Public Health & he obtained his Masters of Public Health (MPH) from there in 2001.
· In 2003, he was awarded Fellowship of the National Academy of Medical Sciences(NAMS), India
· In 2005, the Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK conferred on him the degree of MRCPsych
· He has been elected by his per group in the national professional body viz. Indian Psychiatric Society(IPS) as
(a) Honorary General Secretary( 1997-99), and
(b) Honorary Editor for the national journal( 2005-07)
· The Research & Development projects led by him, funded by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) & the World Health Organization (WHO) are considered exceptionally outstanding, leading to
(a) Formation of a module/programme for Urban Mental Health Programme, based on Research project on Urban Mental Health & the service delivery experience of the national programme outreach activities in Delhi
(b) Critical Contribution to the development of National Guidelines of the National Disaster Management Authority(NDMA) on the subject of the Mental Health & Psychosocial Services- based on research & service delivery experience in Gujarat Earthquake & Tsunami.
(c) Development of innovative programmes like the health services for the homeless populations in old Delhi
- He was invited to be International Visitor (IV) as part of a Programme of the Dept of State, Government of USA in 1998.
AWARDS & PRIZES:
He has 4 national awards for original research, and one Oration Award.
- He received the “Bharat Swastha Samman” in 2010 by LIC-Zee News- the first person from the field of psychiatry & mental health, amongst 12 such doctors from different medical disciplines.
· He also received the award for “Outstanding Contribution in the field of Psychiatry” from the NGO “Balkan-Ji-Bari International”, Delhi, as India’s Oldest NGO founded in 1926.
- He has been subject expert for a 26 episode Television (Doordarshan) series on Psychological & Social Aspects of Hindi Cinema (Dil Se) and expert anchor Television Serial (Doordarshan) for health information & empowerment (Kar Bhala Soch Bhala) for more than 2 years (100 episodes).
· He has more than 70 publications to his credit including 50 research papers, 10 book chapters & 10 researches Monographs etc.
- He is a member of key working groups of national organizations like National Knowledge Commission (NKC), National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
· He has also been the Coordinator of the National Guidelines for “ Psychosocial Support & mental Health Services in Disasters” by the NDMA.
· His major areas of work & interest currently are mental health activities in all facets, and the application to medicine & public health.